I would ignore this if you don't like Off topic posts, and flame me if
you so wish, just there is a small discussion going on in a debian mail
list and this post made me chuckle a bit...reminded me of Jason's
presentation about bsd dying. In hindsight, why I said anything in the
first place I will never know.

<back story>
On 22/02/2010 13:01, NN9OON3N?O N N,N;N;N1O wrote:
> > (it is, isn't it? :-) )
> >
> > So, yes, we are moving on from our 10year experience with gentoo, and
> > are searching for our new environment. From my personal experience I
> > would say debian stable - any hard evidence to support the claim? Server
> > OS statistics? Statistics for stableness? Bugs? Any white papers showing
> > debian's superiority?
> >
> > I am also doing my google research, but I'm asking if someone can point
> > me to something like real hard evidence...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > G.
Depending on what you want to use the servers for, OpenBSD
</backstory>

What someone replied;

Given that the amount of resources going into Linux kernel development over
the past 10 years and moving forward is a vast ocean compared to the trickle
of resources going into *BSD kernel development, for me, the choice of
kernel is clear, as it is with many folks.  The Linux kernel walks over over
*BSD in too many categories to count.  The *BSD kernels might walk all over
the Linux kernel in only a couple of categories, if that.

These projects are "hacks" in the true sense of the word.  They are doing it
to prove to themselves it can be done.  It will be a very long time until
either of these is production ready, if ever.  Look at the Hurd project for
a sobering reminder.  It's 12 years old and still not close to its first
release, let alone production ready.  Probably never will be, again, due to
developer resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_GNU/Hurd

Debian GNU/Hurd has been in development since 1998[1], but still has not
been officially released. Over 60%[2] of the software packaged for Debian
GNU/Linux has been ported to the GNU Hurd. However, the Hurd itself remains
under development, and as such is not ready for use in production systems.
The overwhelming majority of Debian users run Debian GNU/Linux, rather than
Debian GNU/Hurd.