On 2010-02-26, Edwin Eyan Moragas <haa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> wrote:
>> ah, the thing that mightn't have been apparent with my suggestion
>> of route-to, is that my default route points out of a normal
>> ethernet interface, which stays up all the time
>
> so i guess i should remove the callout from hostname.pppoe to adding a
> default route?
>
> thank you for the assist. :)

it's slightly more complicated, as you have to have *some* default
route otherwise the packets don't get as far as PF, so the route-to
rules can't be used.

it could be a dummy address, but it has to point to an address on
some directly-connected network. I'm not sure if it has to respond
to arp, it's possible, but it wouldn't have to actually do any
routing if you have everything covered by route-to rules. you might
have to experiment a bit there.

in the setup where I'm using this, default points to a separate adsl
router on vr0, and there are a couple of pppoe(4)'s on the box itself,
with route-to to balance between the vr0 and all pppoe's.