On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM,  <trustlevel-...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I had read the faq many times before asking the question. I admit not just
> beforehand. I wasn't specific enough about my thought processes and asked too
> many questions at once, but thanks for all the insights.
>
> I've decided to use release when available and switch to current as needed.

? Some reason for that?

> Out of interest how many members of the OpenBSD crew constantly track current.

If you mean developers then I think that all of them use current.
There's no point for them to use release/stable

> Do you mainly do that on testing and development machines?

What's that? A lot of users use current on their production
servers/laptops/desktops

> Do you watch for commits and merge those changes into /etc or keep userland
> close to current and occassionally sync /etc or update everything every few
> days, weeks or months and have a per system tailored update script that maybe
> uses sysmerge.

Read FAQ :

Keeping Things in Sync
It is important to understand that OpenBSD is an Operating System,
intended to be taken as a whole, not a kernel with a bunch of
utilities stuck on. You must make sure your kernel, "userland" (the
supporting utilities and files) and ports tree are all in sync, or
unpleasant things will happen. Said another way (because people just
keep making the error), you can not run brand new ports on a month old
system, or rebuild a kernel from -current source and expect it to work
with a -release userland. Yes, this does mean you need to upgrade your
system if you want to run a new program which was added to the ports
tree today. Sorry, but again, OpenBSD has limited resources available.

and sysmerge(8) is great tool for upgrades either from release to
release or from one snapshot to another. How often you will do that is
on you. No one can now better then you.

> The faq mentions flag days. I realise that snapshots would avoid this problem,
> but if I wanted to build a kernel. How would I check if today is a flag day.

If you are using snapshots then you don't need build kernel as you can
do binary upgrades from snapshot to snapshot.

--
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html