I'm a mac user who "switched" because of System 10 (10.1).
I like the bsd env, but I have found myself back on my true
security blanket, OpenBSD.

I've read various opinions on EFI, and know what to expect
as a reply from the hard-liners, but I would like to get a
more general opinion of all who contribute to this list regarding
their opinions on EFI from the angle of reliability and security.

At its most extreme, EFI seems to create a sub-layer where
the Operating System never truly has control of the hardware.

Given that scenario, is there any possibility (and desire) of
flashing the EFI with an Open (read, OpenBSD approved)
 solution?

I'm not talking about rEFIt, which I use, but a more
permanent equation. As it is now, rEFIt does not replace anything.
This is evidenced by the fact that resetting PRAM
(cmd+option+p+r at startup, three times) restores the original
bootloader. I assume the copy used for this restore can't be entirely
Read-Only as Apple wants to update it as well.

I am keeping my current Macbook (rev3,1) in a devel state, and
am entirely compliant with any desired experimentation.
If there's a high possibility this experimentation could fry my chips,
then I just need a year to complete my AppleCare coverage. (haha!)