On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:09 +0100, "Peter N. M. Hansteen"
<pe...@bsdly.net> wrote:
> Kabayan <kab4...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Problem solve after I restart pflogd
> > New problem is Why the pflogd process almost use 100% capacity of my /var ?
>
> My guess would be that your pf.conf logs traffic with log (all) on at
> least one rule that matches a lot of traffic, and possibly your
> newsyslog.conf does not implement a very aggressive log rotation
> schedule.
>
> Logging all packets is not all that useful unless you're deep in
> debugging something.

I occasionally log packets that pf blocks (just to see who is poking
around). Normally, that's about 100K per hour and only 4 old logs are
kept so a small /var is OK most of the time.  Then one day, some new
network gear was installed that messed-up the layer 2 bridging and
introduced a loop and STP stopped working. From that came a huge
broadcast storm. pf logs filled up a 4GB /var in 3 minutes. I've never
seen that many packets in that short amount of time. I still log pf
blocks and 99% of the time, it's OK.

Brad