On 31. mars 2010, at 20.01, Claudio Jeker wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:08:01PM +0300, Eugene Yunak wrote:
>> On 31 March 2010 19:27, N. Arley Dealey <arley.dea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It would appear to me that antispoof and URPF achieve similar results. Is
>>> there a reason to prefer one over the other?
>>
>> Not at all. antispoof blocks ip packets that came in from the wrong
>> interface, while URPF blocks packets from "aliens" (no entry in
>> routing table for the source address). Just look at the output of
>> pfctl -sr
>>

> Not at all. URPF does not only check if a route exists it also checks that
> the route is pointing to the interface the packet came in.
>
> Antispoof is only for the LAN while URPF is actually capable of tracking
> stuff further down. This is at the same time the problem of URPF if you
> have asymetric routing URPF fails. Antispoof works in this case since it
> is hard to get asymetric routing on the LAN.
>
> --
> :wq Claudio

uRPF (at least recent incarnations of it) can be /configured/ to drop packets
based of presence of /either/ :

- a matching FIB prefix outbound on the same interface the packet arrived on
(strict mode)
- a matching FIB prefix outbound on any interface (loose mode)

you can also mask uRPF effect to only a subset of packets/prefixes with an
ACL.

pretty extensive explanation here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/urpf.pdf

/Pete