On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Sean Kamath <kam...@geekoids.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Ted Roby <ted.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please tell me what I should do with his permission?
>>
>> At best, he can let me host my own mud with his code.
>> At worst, he must rewrite his entire license in all the associated
>> files.
>>

> Now *that* is an interesting question. As the original author, they
> should be able to rerelease the original code with a different license
> or with none at all. And they don't even need to do the work!  They
> could provide someone, perhaps yourself, with a release to make the
> code free. Otherwise, how would companies that once licensed their
> code release it under a BSD License (which has happened).

The "original" author is actually:
Diku Mud copyright (C) 1990, 1991 by Sebastian Hammer, Michael Seifert,
Hans Henrik Sterfeldt, Tom Madsen, and Katja Nyboe.  Their license agreement
is in the file 'license.doc'.

And their license requirements would still fit in the Ports tree:

#begin quote
In order to use Merc you must follow the Diku license and our license.  The
exact terms of the Diku license are in the file 'license.doc'.  A summary of
these terms is:

        -- No resale or operation for profit.
        -- Original author's names must appear in login sequence.
        -- The 'credits' command must report original authors.
        -- You must notify the Diku creators that you are operating a Diku
mud.

Our license terms are:

        -- Copyrights must remain in original source.
        -- 'Help merc' must report our help text, as shipped.

#end quote

However, the author who wrote "snippets" for new features
decided to expressly limit his license even further as such:

/* NOT TO BE USED OR REPLICATED WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION OF AUTHOR   */
/* umpla...@cc.umanitoba.ca  */

Sure... maybe he's had a change of heart in 10 years...