Howdy List?

This may, at first blush, seem to be more spam unrelated
to the work of Open BSD.  But it seems to me over the
years one of the major criticisms of the Free/Open software
movement has come from classical economics/ecology in the
form of Garrett Hardin's Tragedy of the Commons.  If we
are to believe Hardin's thesis then building something
like a free operating system (or "free" ideas in general)
is the essense of pointless vanity.

But here:

http://www.physorg.com/news191765285.html

we have a games model showing that resources managed by
a communicant group are not necessarily exploited to
extinction.  Interestingly the ability to impose
sanctions in the form of fines for overexploitation
did not appear to enhance resource productivity,
only the ability to make ongoing agreements about
constructive action appear to have mattered.

If you think this is "off topic" and irrelevant to
misc at openbsd org please accept my apologies and
press delete now ;-)

Dhu