Dan Harnett <dan...@harnett.name> writes:

> In OpenBSD's case, "binary blob" refers to binary-only drivers, not
> firmware.  Firmware is usually okay if it is documented and under an
> acceptable license.

Specifically, the license needs to grant the OpenBSD project the right
to redistribute the firmware files.

Unfortunately there have been a few cases (wpi, iwn, others I don't
remember right away) where redistribution rights have not been granted
and the end user will need to download one or more files and copy to
/etc/firmware before a device would work.

In the two cases I mentioned the workaround was provided by the driver
developer who made the firmware available as an installable package
for download from his personal web space.  It was of course documented
in the driver man pages, but the extra step is just enough
inconvenience that I'd consider actively seeking laptops with other
wireless cards in the future unless that particular manufacturer does
the sensible thing.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/