On 2010-05-06, Schafhauser, Florian <fschafhau...@arri.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the RAID Controller causes trouble with OpenBSD 4.5 and 4.6.

First off, for mpi(4) you want one of these patches:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/4.5/common/015_mpi.patch
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/4.6/common/009_mpi.patch
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/4.7/common/002_mpi.patch

> Reading and writing is quite slow. When I use I/O intensive applications like
> squid, machine dies within next 30 minutes.

Are you sure about reading being slow? That speed seems about right
for write-cache being disabled on the volume.

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-HP-DL140-G3%2C-mpi%284%29-SAS1068-%28hotplug%29%2C-slow-disk-writes.-p17059402.html

> Only ping requests were answered.

Assuming you are running sshd: if you telnet to port 22 on that machine,
do you get something like:

Trying 11.22.33.44...
Connected to 11.22.33.44.
Escape character is '^]'.

(i.e. it answers the port, but no banner?)

If so, and you have a way to reliably reproduce the hang, please give
as many details as possible about what triggers it... Other people see
this hang but nobody I know of has a way to reproduce, it usually only
happens after the box has been running for a month or two.