On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:39:47 -0700
"LeviaComm Networks NOC" <n...@leviacomm.net> wrote:

> My first recommendation is to use another method of install, see:
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20100404103735
>
> If you really want to continue:
> Is the BIOS up to date?

BIOS is the latest version (Phoenix Award BIOS v6 revision 1.03 fwiw)
available from the manufacturer.
See here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/ProductDetail.jsp?productLine=1&id=490

> Also, is there a setting for USB mode in the BIOS?
>
> Sometimes listed as USB Drive emulation, or similar.

There is a USB Emulation mode. If I turn USB Emulation off, then all
the problems of the USB drives freezing the system go away, but it
still leaves me with the first issue of the bootable device. Without
USB emulation on, it actually won't boot from any USB devices.

> I know that most of this seems basic, but even the best of us need
> reminding now and then.

That's pretty legit. I agree that I do occasionally forget those things
but I tried to have my bases covered for this one ;)

-Ben

--
Ben Niccum
be...@bendtel.com