On 15/06/2010, at 2:20 AM, Ted Roby wrote:

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Paul M <l...@no-tek.com> wrote:
On 14/06/2010, at 6:54 PM, Jan Stary wrote:

It would be my guess that this is the audio chip that's integrated
with the Asus P5QPL-AM motherboard.  If you are really after "best
transfer quality", you might want to use something else in the
first place.

Good point, thanks for the reality check.
Most of what I have to do is not the best quality anyway, but that
doesn't mean I'm happy to introduce unnecessary generation loss by
being sloppy. There is some though that is very good, so that may well
need something better.

I heard the Griffin iMic was to be discontinued, but mine is supported
under OpenBSD. Your best bet for clean audio is a USB-attached device.

Sound cards just get too much noise off the motherboard.

Interesting.
I have one of those kicking around somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.
Thanks

paulm