Hi again,

I have a router with two wireless cards. As I always enjoy the odd open
AP to check my emails on the go, I decided I'd reciprocate. I thus have
configured one of the Wi-Fi interface as open.

However, I wouldn't want people to abuse this bservice.b I put it there
for them to check their emails, not download big amounts of data (which
is also capped to a given monthly volume by my ISP).

My goal is then to shape the bandwidth on this network (by not putting
packets on the wireless network as fast as they could, thus forcing the
tranport to adapt) using AltQ. However, rather than setting a global
limit, I'd rather set a limit per user (I assume one user equals one IP
here, all limitations and flaws considered).

I've been reading docs and tutorial (and still am), but I can't figure a
way to limit each user to, say, 500Kb/s* without explicitly creating as
many queues as possible IP addresses in the network, disregarding that
500Kb for 253** users would just saturate the network. Of course, I
don't want them to be able to borrow any of the remaining bandwidth
either.

In summary, in a network with 11Mbps with, say three visitors, each of
them can get 500Kb/s download, and nothing more. If all of them use it,
the network will see 1.5Mb/s of its bandwidth occupied (and so will my
uplink), while the other 8.5 (out of the 90% of 11Mb/s) will remain
blissfully unused, waiting for another user (or the same user with yet
another device).

Is there a concise and elegant way to define such a ruleset?

Thanks again!

* Actually, maybe I should reconsider this value.
** I don't want to think about IPv6 if I have to write this ruleset
manually (;

--
Olivier Mehani <sht...@ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655