On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Joe Gidi <j...@entropicblur.com> wrote:
> hw.cpuspeed=2493
> hw.setperf=99

> None of my other machines have ever shown hw.setperf=99; they always boot
> up at 100. It's not a problem, just a little quirk. The machine runs fine
> and SpeedSteps properly with apmd. Running 'sysctl hw.setperf=100' bumps
> up hw.cpuspeed to a displayed value of 2500. Has anyone seen this kind of
> behavior before?

It's fairly common.  We measure cpuspeed using two different
techniques.  One actually measures the speed, that's the number you
see in dmesg and at first.  Then to reflect setperf changes, we just
ask the cpu how fast it thinks it's running which leads to nice round
numbers.  Same with the initial setperf value.  We measured your cpu
as running slightly slower than max and scale setperf accordingly.