On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 08:05:59PM +0200, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> On Sun 11/07/10 23:05, "Ted Unangst" ted.unan...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayur...@ka
> > the.in> wrote:
> > Hello, may I know of limitations on supporting large
> > directories (over 5
> > million files) with small files
> > > (less than 10 KB) under FFS/FFS2?
> > > This is for a research project under AMD x86 with
> > SATA Disk[s].
> > It wouldn't be much of a research project if we told you the answer, would
> > it?
> > Step 4 of the scientific method:  Perform experiments.
>
> The project is to do with large number of files stored in a directory, but
> definitely not about
> finding out whether OpenBSD would be in a position to handle that.
> The answer is vital to allow me usage of OpenBSD, else I will probably have to
> move over to some
> commercial Unix, hope you can help. :)

I believe having that many files in a single dir is not a good thing
for any Unix filesystem. There's no guarantee your other options will
handle that.

FFS does not have any problem handling millions of files, as long as
the number of files per dir is reasonable. Again, create subdirs and
you'll be fine.

> The project is research, not finding out whether the research wouldn't yield
> results because the
> filesystem couldn't handle management of 5 million small files. :-)

        -Otto