<jwesleycoo...@cox.net> wrote:
> -00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)

alzalia(4)

> -00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)

Actually ISA bus support is common throughout controllers as I understand.
Still, any ICH device should be supported.

> -00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller
> (rev 03)

pciide(4)

> -00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev
> 03)

piixpm(4)

> -08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
> PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

re(4)

> -0e:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
> (rev 01)

bwi(4)

> -1a:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Device 10f7 (rev 01)

Not supported AFAIK.

> 1a:00.1 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Device 8120 (rev 01)

sdmmc(4) or sd(4) ?

> 1a:00.2 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Device 8130 (rev 01)

sd(4) ?

All the manuals metioned above You can find on OpenBSD site.

> The ones I marked with a dash are those I can't seem to find on the amd64
> compatibility list... so will they not work, and/or what must I do to make
> them work after or during the install?

For bwi(4) You'll have to download a firmware (consult the manual). This is
generally wise to read i386 HCL too as everything applicable to i386 should be
true for amd64. Think of amd64 HCL as of extension to i386 one.

> Anyway, what's really getting me is that no matter what I do, I can't seem
> to figure out how on Earth one determines what exactly will work and what
> won't?  What search or analysis techniques are used to figure this out?  I
> just can't seem to locate this kind of info on my own, and it's driving me
> *nuts*, so please, tell me how on earth you guys actually figure this stuff
> out in the first place...

So, the first stage is to determine the actual hardware. This is done by
inspecting the device manager of Your OS and (the lazy way) seraching the
partname with linux keyword appended.

The second stage is reading HCLs, Changelogs and (the lazy way again)
searching partname with "OpenBSD" keyword added.

Personally I've found everything in HCL except for piixpm(4) which I found by
looking up SMBus in WikiPedia as I had no idea what it was. There I've noticed
it's I2C extension and looked I2C up in HCL.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff