On 07/24/10 09:21, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
On Sat 24/07/10 19:41, "Gilles Chehade" gil...@poolp.org wrote:
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 03:53:36PM +0200, Gilles Chehade wrote:
You dont want to do that...

Mayuresh Kathe<mayur...@ka
the.in>  a C)critB :

Has anyone experimented with using a set of
shell scripts as CGI under the
stock Apache delivered with
OpenBSD?

longer answer now that i reached home:

1- the goal of the chroot is to prevent apache from accessing things
outside
its root directory (/var/www) as a measure to limit for example an
exploit
from executing a shell. if you bring the shell inside the chroot ...
you
already defeat that.

2- shell scripts do not rely on shell builtins, so if you want to use
them
inside the chroot you also need to bring all of the commands you plan
to use too. that means a large chunk of /bin and /usr/bin.

3- why oh why ?

Thanks for the answer Gilles, as always, very complete :-)

about: 3- why oh why ?

Because I'm on the verge of running an experiment using OpenBSD.
It involves a lot of small files in one big directory.
I wanted to use the Unix toolkit rather than using the one big interpreted
language (php, ruby)
approach.

Again, thank you. :-)

Best.

try modperl. Much faster than regular perl. You can even get your script interpreted before "running the big job" if you write it correctly