On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, frantisek holop wrote:

since my first email, i see what i did wrong...
that was the point of writing to the mail list
in the first place, to see if i was doing something
silly.  turns out i was.  does that warrant abuse?
of course it does, i am not new here.

i also see, that now this problem became simply
a "should we babysit root" issue, and i dont
want root to be babysit either.

but regardless of that, i think leaving old garbage
after newfs-ing a partition is not a good idea in
any case and it's one of those things i wouldn't
except either.  my mistake again.

Finish your homework first.

If ffs had overwritten the beginning of the partition you would have
ended with a *different* error message and the kernel would not have

=> Your homework is to figure out what the other error message would be
   and why.

it would be the same error message ffs gives when given
a non-ffs partition:

mount_msdos: /dev/sd1a on /mnt: Invalid argument

No, it would not be. Try harder.

Regards,
David