Hello:

Using 4.6 (updating to 4.7 is my next project), I have set up two machines at
two separate sites to that create a ipsec tunnel between them.

Both machines get a dynamic ip address for their internet connection from the
ISP (comcast at one end, AT+T at the other).

Both machines have the /etc/dhclient.conf file modified to include:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;

The line above is the ONLY line that is not a comment in either dhclient.conf
file.

Both machines have /etc/hostname.sk0 (the world facing interface) set up as:

dhcp NONE NONE NONE

(i think i don't need the "NONE"s, but that's the way I originally did it
several months ago)

I also have a "resolv.conf.tail" file, although given the fact that I have
excluded "domain-name" and "domain-name-servers", I shouldn't need it.

I have set up resolv.conf on each machine as I want it.

BUT, one machine (the comcast one) works like I would expect.B  It gets a
dynamic ip address and does not change the resolv.conf file.B  When i look at
/var/db/dhclient.leases.sk0, i see that no information exists regarding dns
servers or domain names.

ON the other machine (the AT+T one) things are different.B  It gets a dynamic
ip address, but also updates the resolv.conf with a domain name and dns server
from the dhcp server.B  it also, as expected, then appends the contents of
resolv.conf.tail to the new resolv.conf file, and also creates a
resolv.conf.save file. Also, the data in /var/db/dhclient.leases.sk0 shows
that the dhcp client received dns server and domain name info from the dchp
server:
B  option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254;
B  option domain-name "gateway.2wire.net";
(despite the dhclient.conf file specifically excluding that information from
the request line)

I can (sort of), make it do what i want by using supersede lines in the
dhclient.conf file; but I don't understand what I have done different between
the two machines.B  As I said, both hostname.sk0 and dhclient.conf files are
identical.B  I have tried (on the problem machine) deleting resolv.conf.save
and /var/db/dhclient.leases.sk0, and then rebooting (starting with a clean
slate, I was thinking), but that does nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks
bye - ted