On 2010-09-11, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera <h...@osvaldobarrera.com.ar> wrote:
> I've tried building python 2.6 from ports since I need setuptools for 2.6.
> However, when I try to make install (or any other sort of make), I get
> this error:
>
> # pwd
> /usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools
> # make install
> Makefile:28: *** missing separator.B  Stop.
> #
>
> I get the same error for python/2.6 (just different line).
>
> I read that "missing separator" usually refers to there being spaces
> instead of tabs: I HAVEN'T modified Makefile yet (since I actually
> forgot), but I don't want to do so if I can't even get it to compile
> WITHOUT changing anything.

Your post lacks information.

- What OS version are you using? Current? 4.7? Something else?
- Are you using a ports tree which matches the OS version?

If you need to work with python 2.6 I strongly suggest running
-current.

If you are using i386 or sparc64 then just pkg_add -u from an
up-to-date mirror and things should just work. Hopefully we should
see some for amd64 sometime this week or next. Other arch are
likely to take longer (some of them, much longer).

If you don't want to wait, then make sure you're using a fully
up-to-date -current ports tree. When you 'cvs update' look for
any M or C lines and investigate what changes you have in your
tree as they are likely to be responsible for the make problem
you see. Then you will need to update everything using python;
I suggest:

pkg_delete -i /var/db/pkg/python-2.5*

this will ask you to remove any installed packages which
depend on python 2.5; *copy down this list* so you can reinstall
the things you need, then let it delete them.

When you've removed the packages built with python 2.5,
then rebuild the things you need.

If you still have problems then followup on po...@.