2010/10/7 Martin PelikC!n <martin.peli...@gmail.com>:
> 2010/10/7, Jona Joachim <j...@hcl-club.lu>:
>> On 2010-10-07, Christiano F. Haesbaert <haesba...@haesbaert.org> wrote:
>>> Why not make a curses GUI ? I find it much more useful than gtk/qt
(IMHO).

>> What would be really nice IMHO is to expose an API that gives access to
>> ifconfig functionality so everybody could easily write their own UI.
>
> That API is exposed in getifaddrs(3). If you've read the whole thread...
>
>> Basically to to write your GUI you need to rewrite part of ifconfig.
>
> Basically that is by definition. ifconfig is just another kind of GUI, see?
:-)

>> Also I always wondered whether it is technically possible to scan for
>> APs without losing your connection to your current AP, that would be
>> very handy to implement transparent roaming.
>
> AFAIK it's not, but one thread could do scanning while another thread
> could handle user input (like WPA passphrase)
>
> I don't see why do so many people want to use Python for this. Its
> advantages are obvious in complex software with lots of code, but why
> use it for such a simple and low-level tool? I mean, why don't you use
> mono then? I'm pretty sure ioctl() looks similar in all of them...
> GTK/Qt seems like a huge overkill too. Look at its size and look at
> the benefits from it. Round buttons? Is that what you want? A pop-down
> "new network found" window from a corner? Just imagine running PyQt on
> a Soekris.
>
> I'll try to bring myself to post my unfinished curses version. The
> problem is I don't understand curses enough. Parts of it are too
> complex and some important parts are missing or malfunctional across
> multiple systems. But from a "simple and easy-to-use" point of view,
> it seems the smallest evil.
>
> My app loads bunch of .so's, which create options in left menu (like
> in Mikrotik Winbox) and if you press the option, a function from that
> library gets called and gets control over the whole window (and does
> its stuff). One for ifaces+addresses, one for pf tables and one for pf
> anchors so far. Any other ideas?
>
> --
> Martin Pelikan

What would you suggest for a GUI?  I mean, one that runs as an X application.
I don't intend to add any tray notification or anything like that, anyway.

To be honest, the reason I picked python is that I've more experience
with python than I do with C/C++, so I can produce better quality code
in less time.
I'd do the C module to load into python because I don't think python
can make system function calls.

Anyway, how close are you to finishing your curses UI?  A great deal
of code might be re-usable for an X GUI, if you don't mind :-)

As for what others said, I DID say I intend to create a C module to be
called from python to use from my python UI.  This would then be
re-usabe for creating another UI, a text-mode UI, and anything someone
would want.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

() B ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\ B www.asciiribbon.org B  - against proprietary attachments