Someone else replied offlist which I thought was worth responding
to here,

>On 2010-10-10, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
>> On 2010-10-09, Dimitar Vassilev <dimitar.vassi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>> I got the following setup
>>>                                                       bridge----2 gig
>>> switches---home lab
>>> Inet---alix 1d box with quad gigabit---<
>>>                                                       DHCP usr lan
>>>
>>> The alix box is alix 1d with 256mb RAM and from home lab 2 home lab
>>> segment I'm able to get gigabit speed. my problem is that from usr lan
>>> to home lab, I'm able to get 150 mbit/s max though all interfaces are
>>> gig ones.
>>
>> The CPU and chipset are way too slow to handle wire-speed gigabit.
>> You'll be better off with an Atom, VIA, or probably even a 350MHz PII.
>>

>Alix is very best ! AMD Geode 500Mhz processor. PII is one dinosaur

It's not just about the clock speed of the CPU. Lots of other things
affect network forwarding performance (cache, memory bandwidth, pci
controller, type of NICs).

There are some fairly good cheap low-power geode gx/lx-based systems,
but I'm honestly surprised you even get 150Mb/s through them.