On Oct 13 14:02:55, Mikle Krutov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:32:53AM +0200, Jan Stary wrote:

> > > No. i do not mean the outdated version of manual page, but the quantity
> > > of headers in man page. It is there almost every, hm, 20 strings or
> > > something.
> >
> > "Every 20 strings"? Nonsense. Show me an example.
> > In my version of the manpage, the header repeats
> > every 60 lines, as usual.
> Never have seen any manual pages with more than one header.
> >
> > Anyway, this is a mplayer issue. Nothing to do with misc@
> On all the other systems (NetBSD and FreeBSD) there is only ONE header
> in mplayer manual page too, so i don't think it is mplayer issue..

The file DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1 from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2
translates into a one-header version with 'mandoc mplayer.1'
and produces the repeating headers with 'groff -man -Tascii mplayer.1'

So perhaps this is about how exactly the mplayer port builds
its manpage(s) from the mplayer.1; it doesn't: the port seems
to simply copy mplayer.1 into man/man1/mplayer.1
Then, 'man mplayer' displayes the manpage with repeated headers.

This seems to be the case with all ports I have looked at
(firefox, sox, unzip, ...); unlike the system man pages
(ls, cp, ...) which have a single header.

The difference seems to be that the system manpages are
precompiled (with mandoc) into e.g. /usr/share/man/cat1/ls.0
whereas the port manpages are just the groff sources such as
/usr/local/man/man1/mplayer.1 that get rendered online (with groff).

Perhaps (someone correct me please) man calls groff on the manpage
sources, who produces the repeating headers; but mandoc does not.