On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 07:20:10PM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> Softraid is not a volume manager. We don't support adding, removing chunks
> after creation time. I'll take diffs for this however this is pretty far from
> trivial.

The one piece of information I found a bit unclear in the manual is
how to rebuild a degraded mirror:

bioctl -R <newchunk> <raid>

where *both* the <newchunk> and the <raid> argument are real disknames,
as in "bioctl -R sd1 sd2" for a case were physical devices sd0 and sd1
formed a mirror creating the softraid device sd2, and sd1 fell offline.

I would indeed have expected the second argument to be softraid<x>

The manual states:
  -R device | channel:target[.lun]
     Manually kick off a rebuild using device or channel:target[.lun]
     on the provided drive name.  This command requires a drive by
     name (e.g. sd1) instead of a controller by name (e.g. softraid0).

Perhaps that last sentence could be

"This command requires the final device argument to be the drive name
 (e.g. sd2) instead of the controller name (e.g. softraid0)."

Regards,

Niels