On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 12:31:51AM +0100, Vladimir Ostrovskiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. as far as my knowledge goes pure mpls packet should not be fragmented

Right, there is no way to fragment a MPLS packet on ethernet, since L2
does not implement such a thing. But gif(4) is L3 and therefor the traffic
over gif can be fragmented.

> 2. i am unuware of IPSec encap of MPLS, maybe in GRE first?
>     but once such encap is done there is DF bit set.

You can encap the IP packet, since IPSec always comes with an IP header.

> 3. maybe it will be easier to put additional routers on both endpoints
> with interfaces set with an IP MTU, small enough?

I don't think this is needed.

In short, gif(4) will fragment packets just fine (actually it is the
normal IP fragmenting in ip_output()). So in theory you could forward
jumbo frames over a link with less then 1500 bytes by using a big MTU
gif(4) on a bridge. This works just fine as long as there is only very
little packet loss. There are a few people that use vether(4) + bridge(4)
+ gif/ipsec to build L2 tunnels with full MTU, it works astoundingly well.

The bridge(4) IP fragmenting is mostly untested and only works for IPv4. I
would not build anything on top of that feature.

--
:wq Claudio