On 16 November 2010 22:24, Jochen Fabricius <jfabric...@web.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I discovered that my network connection on an Acer Aspire X3900 is
only 10baseT. Never realized it before because the speed is enough (mostly
relatively slow internet connection, no large files to/from other machines).
System is 4.8-release.

> I checked:
> - wiring: even at shortest connection to the switch only 10baseT was
available
> - other switches
> - other machines with the same cables, same port on switch
>
> The PHY is a 82578, and as I understand the commit messages the support is
still "basic", but shouldn't at least 100baseTX work? That's what all my
switches support. I have to check with a 1 GbE switch, but I don't know if I
can get one in the next time. Has anyone higher speeds working with this PHY?

> Before release I tried a 4.8 BETA on this machine, but I never checked for
network speed.

> Ifconfig output and dmesg below. Do you need anything else?
>
> em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        lladdr 90:fb:a6:46:db:e1
>        priority: 0
>        groups: egress
>        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT full-duplex,rxpause,txpause)
>        status: active
>        inet6 fe80::92fb:a6ff:fe46:dbe1%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>        inet 10.0.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255

Hi,

What does:

ifconfig em0 media

say?