2010/11/24 James Hozier <guitars...@yahoo.com>:
> Are there any books that are more noob-friendly that want to learn C as
their first language and explain basic programming terms along the way?

I tried a lot of things and if I could go back I would choose "How to
Design Programs". It's free and it uses DrScheme which is great for
learning purposes. It allows you to run and watch your program
step-by-step. Definitely do not start with SICP, it's as dense as C
Programming Language by K&R.

"How to Design Programs" is available for free here
http://htdp.org/

After that I would jump to C Programming Language by K&R, because C is
fundamental knowledge , but mainly because I love operating systems.
But if you do not want to go through "How to Design Programs" just
stick to "C Programming language by K&R" and use Google a lot. I love
that book and I think it's great book even for start, but you have to
think and work on your own a lot. After all there there is nobody who
holds your hand forever. Get used to harder approach, it makes things
easier later.

One last recommendation if you plan to stick to operating systems.
Learn shell programming first and along "C by K&R" read also "Computer
Systems: A Programmer's Perspective".

1)
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Shell-Programming-Hours/dp/0672323583/
2)
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628/
along with
3)
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Systems-Programmers-Perspective-2nd/dp/0136108
040/

Good luck!

"I will persist until I succeed. Henceforth, I will consider each
daybs effort as but one blow of my blade against a mighty oak. The
first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the
third. Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no
consequence. Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble.
So it will be with my efforts of today."