On 13 December 2010 22:23, Joachim Schipper <joac...@joachimschipper.nl>
wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 09:11:16PM -0700, Travis King wrote:
>> Joel Wiramu Pauling <j...@aenertia.net> wrote:

>> > [See] firegpg
>>
>> firegpg is the only way I can get friends and family to communicate
>> with me securely. I don't even know what the interface looks like, but
>> it does work (apparently).
>
> It's unmaintained. I would also be surprised if the server can't get at
> your plaintext (e.g. with Javascript, or even Java/Flash).
>
> You may want to look at
> http://rdist.root.org/2010/11/29/final-post-on-javascript-crypto/ and
> the comments (in particular, my

http://rdist.root.org/2010/11/29/final-post-on-javascript-crypto/#comment-623
9).

> *many* restrictions.
>
> B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B Joachim
>
> --
> PotD: devel/ivy - dependency manager for Java
> http://www.joachimschipper.nl/

Firegpg was basically just chrome extensions to local(read client)
side gpg binaries. It wasn't insecure for the reasons you cite, the
author just got sick of having to update it to work with gmail (it's
initial target). It is still useful for easy access to gpg functions
within firefox.