On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:17:56PM -0300, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> Hi!
> I've been using smtpd on my server for some time now, and I want to host
> e-mail accounts for a couple of friends who've asked me to.
>
> I was wondering if it's posible to configure opensmtpd to use a custom
> passwd for user authentication.
> All I've found in the man pages, is configuring user/pass for relaying,
> but nothing related to actual user authentication.

Actually I might have misunderstood what you meant because of your mention
to "custom" passwd.

You can already authenticate users in your master.passwd file. All you
have to do is to add "enable auth" to a listener:

        listen on em0 tls certificate "my.crt" enable auth
        listen on em0 smtps certificate "my.crt" enable auth

It will only work if you configured the listener to support tls or smtps
as authentication is only allowed over a secure channel.

What is not yet possible is to use alternate authentication sources.

--
Gilles Chehade
freelance developer/sysadmin/consultant

                   http://www.poolp.org