On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Joachim Schipper <
joac...@joachimschipper.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 08:07:45AM -0500, Josh Smith wrote:
> > Dear Misc@,
> >
> > I have a largeish ( around 10 gb) mail archive stored in a mbox file
> > and it's starting to get a bit unwieldy to maintain, it's difficult to
> > search through and etc. With that in mind I was wondering what others
> > on the list might be doing to maintain their mail archives?
> >
> > Would I be better off maintaining this in a maildir?  If so what are
> > my options for conversion?
> >
> > Weather or not I keep it in mbox format or convert it to something
> > else - what sort of tools are out there to break it up into multiple
> > archives by year or perhaps sender?
>
> Maildir would help with access, at least. There are lots of options for
> conversion, including your mail client (I *know* mutt can do this.)
>
> Have you considered http://sup.rubyforge.org/? I've heard mixed things
> about it (it's still in beta, and it does have bugs), but it's supposed
> to handle large volumes of mail well.
>
> Similarly, IMAP has a SEARCH extension. Most IMAP servers will keep
> indices for you, but getting the mail client to issue the proper
> commands (instead of searching locally) may take some doc-reading.
>
>                Joachim
>
> --
> PotD: databases/p5-DBIx-DBSchema - database-independent schema objects
> http://www.joachimschipper.nl/

Joachim,
Thanks for the info.  This is my mail archive so I'm not actively accessing
it a lot but I think I will test out several of the mbox->maildir conversion
utilities mentioned in the thread and see if maildir better meets my needs.
 I was not familiar to sup before but I do think I'll take the time to give
it a spin it looks very interesting and like a lot of the comments on its
site said it looks like it might be a worthwhile replacement for mutt.

Thanks,

--
Josh Smith
KD8HRX