Been a long time.

Just want to check on whether the situation with my sort-of new install of 4.8
is normal, and if my guess as to how to approach it is correct.

I didn't have time last night to go through and tweak everything I know to
tweak, and just let it run overnight anyway.

So the first daily insecurities is over a megabyte of text.

Starts with a bunch of setuid additions, ping, ping6, etc., about 50 utilities.
I'm assuming that's just because a new install does that?

Likewise, device additions.

Can I mostly scan through those and just let it go if I don't see anything
obvious? (Not that I'm confident I'd know what I'm looking for, ...) I suppose,
if I were ambitious, I could remove all the devices I know this old iBook will
never have, but that's not even recommended general practice, is it?

The bulk of the mail is a lot (40 or more?) of diffs with /dev/null for stuff
that I don't have in /etc and /var.

Wasted about three hours this morning working on a program to split all the
diffs out into files before it occured to me that almost everything in here is
here because it isn't there, and then I looked in /var/backups and found the
examples.

So, my first reaction was, okay, now I can just start grabbing things that
showed up in the first insecurities output and moving them to /etc, but that's
not really what I want to do, I'm sure.

The first missing file is /etc/bgpd.conf . I may use this iBook as a wireless
router/firewall, but right now, no, so I don't need that one?

/===== down a bit and the next one is /etc/ccd.conf . Maybe I'll want that.

The third one is /etc/changelist , and I'm sure I want that one. In fact, I'm
thinking that's the one that I need to work on first of all, before I let this
do another daily insecurities check overnight.

I'll be checking the docs, on and off today, but I'd appreciate a quick (well,
you know, sometime before I wander down too many strange trails in the next
couple of days) hit with a clue bat, whether I'm headed the right direction or
not.

Also, I'm wondering whether it would be more useful to send in the dmesg before
or after I get /etc cleaned up. Or maybe you have enough iBook G4 12 inch
dmesg-es for 4.8? Nothing special, really.

--
Joel Rees <joel_r...@sannet.ne.jp>