On 30 dec 2010, at 19:58, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Hi list. I've installed two firewall, 1 master and 1 backup. Trying some
test to see if carp and pfsync works, I get this issue: fw master works, all
network connection works, then I disconnect che external interface cable of
fw1 and carp0 go in INIT, carp1 in BACKUP and carp2 in BACKUP, on fw 2, carp0,
carp1 and carp2 become MASTER. After 5/10 seconds, always with cable
disconnected, the carp0 of firewall 1 is in INIT, carp1 and carp2 return to
MASTER, and on fw2 the carp0 is MASTER and carp1, carp2 become BACKUP, and
each 5/10 seconds fw1: carp0 INIT carp1 MASTER carp2 MASTER, after 5/10
seconds fw1 become carp0 INIT carp1 BACKUP carp2 BACKUP and so on.

[.. snip ..]

> FW1 [MASTER]: net.inet.carp.preempt=1
> FW2 [BACKUP]: net.inet.carp.preempt=0  (tried also with 1)

[.. snip ..]

> I don't understand why carp0 carp1 and carp2 switch every 5/10 sec between
master and backup.....some issue?

> thanks in advance

Afaik, the sysctl value net.inet.carp.preempt should be set to the same value
on both nodes. Are you sure you see the same behavior if you set that value to
0 on both nodes, or alternatively to 1?

/Johan