This is my not-so-technical understanding.

OpenBSD's current SMP status:
- The kernel uses a single lock for shared data. My understanding is
that this means that the kernel itself doesn't benefit from SMP as
much as it could otherwise, but it does use multiple cores. (I
believe, but would like confirmation from someone who knows)
- Userland processes can run on as many cores as are supported. So if
you have multiple processes that are using a lot of CPU time, they
will be split across all cores.
- However all threads in a multi-threaded process will run on one
core. For example Mysql will only use a single core, even though it is
multi-threaded.

Bottom line, SMP is very well supported. People blow the BKL thing out
of proportion.

--
Jeremy Chase
http://twitter.com/jeremychase