* Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sincl...@gmail.com> [2011-01-10 21:56]:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de> wrote:
> > * Bernd Bornkessel <bbornkes...@dunkel.de> [2011-01-05 11:59]:
> >> In pf's state table I see two records - one for each direction of the
> >> connection.
> >
> > and the accumulated data from the state is what pflow exports, so it
> > is all as intended.
> >
> > usually, you do your real filtering on one side of the firewall
> > (usually there are areas that can be called "inside" and "outside" -
> > tho in some cases, there are many many inside networks, countless
> > vlans in my case). the other side you do some antispoof and firewall
> > self-protection. pick one side for pflow.
>
> In my case I consider all sides of the firewall hostile - I want to
> protect the internet from the machines on my network just as much as I
> want to protect those machines from the internet.  So there isn't
> really an inside and outside.

that doesn't change a thing. same here. there still is inside and
outside, just none considered "safe".

i express all policy on the (many many many, in my case) "inside"
interfaces.

> I also want netflow for all traffic
> that goes through the firewall - not just to/from the internet but
> also dmz to dmz.

see? another point for doing it on the "inside" interfaces.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de