Hi,

I love opensmtpd. I’m sure this error is my fault, but I can figure it out for
the life of me. On a backup server, I have opensmtpd 5.4.1 with the sample
config file listening on the localhost and relaying only local mail. This
server’s hostname is subdomain.example.com. When I try to send an email from
the command line to j...@example.com (not the lack of the subdomain), smtpd
fails. I have checked the logs, and it is returning the wrong MX record. It is
showing in maillog the IP of another one of our servers. From the box running
smtpd, I have verified by drill (the dig replacement) that the mx record is
correct, yet opensmtpd is receiving an incorrect one. I am stuck. The same
setup worked yesterday. Nothing has changed other than an upgrade from FreeBSD
9.2 to 10.

I realize this may very likely be a FreeBSD problem (especially since it is DNS
related and FreeBSD is a big change in that area), but I was hoping someone
here may have some insight.

Thanks,
John Grasty