Hello everybody,

In preparation for the upcoming OpenBSD 5.7 release I have to test various
things for smooth migration from 5.5, as a lot has changed (sendmail to
opensmtpd, bind to unbound/nsd, pf prio/queues, ...). I started successfully
with opensmtpd.

My setup/use-case is a system with multiple NICs that has to accept email from
localhost and the internal network via smtp without encryption or
authentication. It should take any sender and any recipient address, but send
the email to exactly one address (catch-all) and ignore what the sending party
wants. The catched email has to be delivered via an authenticated email
provider.

Here is my working configuration for this scenario:

# cat smtpd.conf
listen on lo0
listen on em0

table authinfo db:/etc/mail/authinfo.db

accept from any for domain "mydomain.tld" recipient "catch...@mydomain.tld"
relay via tls+auth://la...@emailprovider.tld auth <authinfo>
accept from any for any virtual { "@" => jdoe } deliver to mbox

The user jdoe is a local user on the system and has a .forward file that
contains:

$ cat .forward
catch...@mydomain.tld

This works like a charm and I am impressed how straightforward this was,
compared to the sendmail configuration which really was ugly and painful. Thank
you for opensmtpd!

But my question: Is this five-line configuration already the optimum, or could
it be done even better?

Thank you in advance!

 Stefan