On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:42:36PM -0400, ED Fochler wrote:
> from the RFC:
> "Receiving implementations would do well to handle an arbitrarily large
> number of characters in a line for robustness sake.???
>
> Apple Mail is wrong according to the RFC, and that is something Apple should
> be dealing with.  But is there a reason why OpenSMTPD is enforcing this
> arbitrary boundary intended to increase compatibility?

yes:

data we receive in an smtp session comes from untrusted client.

if you don't apply boundaries, someone like me is going to establish lot
of concurrent connections that will send enless streams of bytes to fill
your memory until it exhausts and your server is rendered unusable.

limits guarantee that at one given time a client is not taking more than
a pre-established amount of resources.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg