Michael Morak @ 2015-11-01T18:40:01 +0100:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> as far as I've seen from the manual, the syntax is "relay [backup
> [mx]]" and the description says: "Accepted mails are only relayed
> through servers with a lower preference value in the MX record for the
> domain than the one specified in mx. If mx is not specified, the
> default server name will be assumed." <- I read this to say "If mx is
> not specified, relay to the default server name."

Hm, not quite. It says that it relays the mail to a server *with a lower
preference value* than the one specified as mx, or got from other sources
(mailname, gethostname(3), etc...). And that is what it should do, because
the mx1 will have a lower preference, than the mx2 (and I'm configuring
the mx2).
Unfortunately, it doesn't act per the man page; it seems it doesn't do
the MX lookup, and relays through itself again and again...

> Further on in the manual it says this:
>
> "/etc/mail/mailname  If this file exists, the first line is used as
> the server name. Otherwise, the server name is derived from the local
> hostname returned by gethostname(3), either directly if it is a fully
> qualified domain name, or by retrieving the associated canonical name
> through getaddrinfo(3)."
>
> I guess, since you didn't supply an mx value, OpenSMTPD tries to relay
> mail to the default server name, which in your case seems to resolve
> to the server running the backup MX (which is not unusual, and one can
> argue whether this is therefore a good default for the "backup" option
> without an "mx" value supplied).
>
> TL;DR: I guess you need to supply an mx value in your smtpd.conf for
> this to work as intended.

Again, even if I had specified a value for 'mx', it must've only routed
the the mail through a server with a lower preference number. So if I
had specified mx1, then there wouldn't have been any servers that are
with a lower pref. value, in turn, if I had specified the mx2, it
would've acted like the same as with the default value.

Daniel

> On 1 November 2015 at 13:57, LÉVAI Dániel <l...@ecentrum.hu> wrote:
> > LÉVAI Dániel @ 2015-10-31T10:24:35 +0100:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I'm trying to setup a simple backup mx on OpenBSD 5.8-stable, but so far
> >> it seems more of a burden than a "simple" task :)
> >>
> >> smtpd.conf:
> >> ------------------------8<------------------------
> >> pki hostname certificate "/etc/ssl/smtpd_cert.pem"
> >> pki hostname key "/etc/ssl/private/smtpd_key.pem"
> >>
> >> listen on pppoe0 tls pki hostname
> >>
> >> table aliases db:/etc/mail/aliases.db
> >>
> >> accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
> >>
> >> accept from any for domain "example.com" relay backup tls verify expire 30d
> >>
> >> accept from local for any relay
> >> ------------------------8<------------------------
> >
> > Alright, so the backup mx handling is clearly broken in opensmtpd.
> > Using "relay via" instead of "relay backup" works:
> >
> > accept from any for domain "example.com" \
> >         relay via "tls://mx1.example.com" pki hostname verify \
> >         expire 30d
> >

> > Anyway, it would nice to hear some words on this from one of the devs.
> > Is this intended? How can one debug this further?
> >

> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > You received this mail because you are subscribed to misc@opensmtpd.org

LÉVAI Dániel
PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F