Quoting Vijay Sankar <vsan...@foretell.ca>:

> Quoting lvdd <lists-opensm...@srdn.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 06.06.2018 17:40, Vijay Sankar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Wondering if someone can help me with this (this is on OpenBSD 6.2; not
>>> -current or 6.3)
>>>
>>> I get the following type of messages constantly in /var/log/maillog
>>>
>>> Jun  6 10:33:34 server1 smtpd[28001]: smtp-out: Enabling route [] <->
>>> 188.130.133.7 (188.130.133.7)
>>> Jun  6 10:33:35 server1 smtpd[28001]: 06bb61896ae727a9 mta event=connecting
>>> address=smtp+tls://188.130.133.34:25 host=188.130.133.34
>>> Jun  6 10:33:35 server1 smtpd[28001]: 06bb61896ae727a9 mta event=error
>>> reason=IO Error: Connection refused
>>> Jun  6 10:33:35 server1 smtpd[28001]: smtp-out: Disabling route [] <->
>>> 188.130.133.34 (188.130.133.34) for 15s
>>>
>>> Looked into /var/spool/smtpd and there were no messages with the id
>>> 06bb61896ae727a9 in any of the directories there.
>>>
>>> Restarted the server but the message still continues.
>>>
>>> smtpctl show message 06bb61896ae727a9 does not find the file.
>>>
>>> What can I do to remove this message delivery attempt? Please let me know.
>>
>> This is pretty annoying as the normal smtpctl commands do not remove the
>> message from the queue. I have this situation when somebody sends mails to
>> aol.de. For some reason they deny my messages and I have the mail stuck in
>> my queue unless I do the following procedure.
>>
>> What does smtpctl show queue give you?
>>
>> However, everytime I run into a situation like this I have to do the
>> following to reliably remove a message from the queue. BTW: I am on OpenBSD
>> 6.3
>>
>> 1 - stop smtpd with rcctl stop smtpd
>> 2 - start smtpd from the commandline with the -P option to pause all
>> subsystems - smtpctl -f -P mda -P mta -P smtp
>> 3 -look into the queue to identify the message that is stuck - smtpctl show
>> queue
>> 4 - remove the message with - smtpctl remove <msgid>
>> 5 - when the message is removed from the queue, stop the running smtpd
>> process from commandline and restart the regular smtpd with - rcctl start
>> smtpd
>>
>> The message should now be gone and those message should be gone as well. For
>> whatever reason you cannot remove the message with smtpctl remove in a
>> running smtpd. It just stays in the queue whatever you do. Only the
>> described procedure above helps me to reliably remove it.
>>
>> Hope it helps
>>
>> Lars
>>

>> --
>> You received this mail because you are subscribed to misc@opensmtpd.org
>
> Thank you so much. I will try this tonight when I get home and update you and
> the list if I can add anything meaningful. If not, thanks again and I really
> appreciate your help.
>
> Vijay
>

> Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
> ForeTell Technologies Limited
> vsan...@foretell.ca
>

> --
> [...]

Unfortunately the commands I tried from your email did not work on my 6.2
installation. I will upgrade to 6.3 -stable soon.

In the meantime, I tried the following:

smtpctl pause smtp
smtpctl pause mta
smtpctl pause mda

Again searched the queue directory tree but could not find the messages. mailq
did not show any queued messages. Every directory in /var/spool/smtpd/queue/*
was 2.0K and did not contain any subdirectories.

So I then went through the code in /usr/src/sbin/smtpd*. It is very elegant so
I got side tracked from my initial objective. However, I could not figure out a
good solution for my problem.

Just so that I don't waste any more developer time or anyone else reading this
list, I am planning to do the following:

/etc/rc.d/smtpd stop
rm -rf /var/spool/smtpd/*
/etc/rc.d/smtpd start

I think that should resolve my issue. If not I will update of course.

Thanks again,

Vijay