Hello,

Thank you for developing Opensmtpd!

I am aware that the config file is changing and also I have heard about
mailfilter (pf-like, not the old filters), but since I have no idea what is
being planned I may also mention useless ideas.

I use opensmtpd for a personal as well as a company (2 users besides me) server
using virtual users since 2017.
I am also using spamd with greylisting in order to reduce spam volumes a little.

I use ssh into the server and use mutt from there to use e-mail, but
unfortunatly as a company we also need to use pop3 and attachments.

My ideas which might (probably not) improve Opensmtpd:

1. Mailing list archives.
https://marc.info/?l=opensmtpd-misc&r=1&w=2
Marc archives messages only until the end of 2015.
Gmane seem to be rebuilding, so opensmtpd might have been archived there, I
have not found it. If it is, then please include a link to them from the
mailinglists page on opensmtpd.org

Not having found recent mailinglist archives means that I may (also meaning:
probably will, am completely free to) ask/suggest things that have already been
mentioned.

CONCLUSION: Good idea to have mailinglist archives linked from opensmtpd.org.

2. Spamd (Openbsd).
Works reasonably well alone for reducing spam.
Works really well for mail servers which have already been whitelisted.

Yahoo and google and some other hosts I use smtpctl spf walk to populate
nospamd
pf table in order to allow them to talk directly to smtpd. This works but again
it is cumbersome to add domains, perhaps someone has already automated this in
scripts?

There are two situations that are barely acceptable with spamd:

Sending an e-mail and then having to wait for the replying host to be
whitelisted. I am guessing most people would like to whitelist domains to which
they are sending e-mail. Perhaps automate/script whitelisting the spf of
domains that you have sent e-mail to?

For ex. talking on the phone and telling people to send you some info by e-mail
but not being able to receive it for aprox. an hour. Again I guess I could ask
what domain name the person I want to receive mail from has, log in from my
phone, su to root, smtpctl spf walk, then pf -t nospamd -T add.....
but I guess few people are going to do this, so then if I am in a hurry I just
give them a gmail address. And I am pretending to be a mail admin :)

Perhaps the right place for domainkeys and spf is in spamd?
Then auto whitelist domains you sent to, blacklist all that have invalid
dkim/spf.

CONCLUSION:
Perhaps support spf/dkim in spamd. More automations for auto whitelisting mail
servers we send mail to. Find solution for easily whitelisting domains.

I have limited scripting abilities and even more limited C abilities, however I
am interested in contributing as much as I can.

Awaiting feedback, Dimitrios