Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 23:28:07 +0200
From: Simon Hoffmann <open...@simonhoffmann.net>
To: m...@openbsd.org
Subject: OpenSMTPd: Ignoring /etc/hosts file?

Hey yall,

in my smtpd.conf file I have "relay smtps://host.domain.tld"

host.domain.tld does resolve to a public IP, and this needs to be a public IP on
public DNS.
However, OpenSMTPd needs to relay to the local IP address of the smarthost.
Since I have no DNS server running on that network, and i dont want to setup a
DNS
server only for OpenSMTPd, I added an enty to /etc/hosts, assigning the local
IP to
the FQDN.
When i ping the FQDN it correctly resolves to the internal IP of the smarthost.
However, OpenSMTPd ignores the entry in /etc/hosts and still tries to connect
to the
public IP of the host.

Is this known that OpenSMTPd ingores /etc/hosts? Or is this a problem on Debian?
Is there a workaround? Specifying "relay smtps://192.168.158.1" will not work,
as the
private IP is not part of the Cert.
Can I force OpenSMTPd to use the internal IP? Can I disable Cert checking for
the
smarthost?

Thanks!

System details:

root@mx01:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        11
Codename:       bullseye
root@mx01:~# smtpd -h
version: OpenSMTPD 6.8.0p2
usage: smtpd [-dFhnv] [-D macro=value] [-f file] [-P system] [-T trace]

root@mx01:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo