Hi!

I’ve started using OpenSMTPD recently, and when trying to setup a filter to
sign mails using dkim I stumbled upon this error:

# /usr/sbin/smtpd -d
info: OpenSMTPD 6.8.0p2 starting
dkimsign: Can't open key file (/etc/mail/dkim/my_very_secret_key.private):
Permission denied
warn: lost processor: dkimsign exited abnormally
Exiting
# echo $?
0

The child process of opensmtpd exited abnormally, but smtpd itself quits
normally, without relaying to the calling process (my shell in this example)
that an error happened.

I think it should at least exit(1), maybe another code to indicate that the
error came from a child process. It could even try to give information on the
child process exit code (see
http://skarnet.org/software/execline/exitcodes.html
for example) but this should not interfere with opensmtpd’s own exit codes.

Note that I’m running opensmtpd on Linux, not OpenBSD, but I doubt this is
relevant to the issue.

Hoël