On 2022-01-24 07:20, Tim van der Molen wrote:
Hi,

Martijn van Duren (2022-01-23 20:13 +0100):
>  From: r...@relayclient.example.com (Cron Daemon)

According to RFC5322 section 3.4[0] this is not a valid e-mail format.

Just to point out this actually is valid. Text in parentheses is a
comment. See RFC 5322 section 3.2.2. Also this quote from section 3.4
which describes the format used above:

      Note: Some legacy implementations used the simple form where the
      addr-spec appears without the angle brackets, but included the
      name of the recipient in parentheses as a comment following the
      addr-spec.  Since the meaning of the information in a comment is
unspecified, implementations SHOULD use the full name-addr form of
      the mailbox, instead of the legacy form, to specify the display
      name associated with a mailbox.  Also, because some legacy
      implementations interpret the comment, comments generally SHOULD
      NOT be used in address fields to avoid confusing such
      implementations.

Best,
Tim

After the email from Martjin I posted a question to Server Fault[1], because I find both 5321 and 5322 I often misread, and based on some helpful responses it is not clear to me that this is an acceptable From: syntax. Even if it is, it seems to be at best a SHOULD NOT, so I'm trying to figure by going backwards where in the Ubuntu/Debian/cron chain of packaging, configuring, compiling, or coding this format actually comes from, but I have a feeling this ends up being a long goose chase.

Thank you,

Paul

[1] https://serverfault.com/q/1090902/153188