On 4/2/22 20:11, Josey Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently setting up a somewhat unique personal email server. I
> have a local server (Raspberry Pi) and a remote server (VPS running
> OpenBSD). Emails are sent to the remote server and are then relayed to
> my local server. When I send an email it goes from my local server to
> the remote server, and is then relayed to it's recipient. Mostly I've
> got it all working how I want it to.
>
> While I'm aware that nothing stored on a VPS (even momentarily) is
> completely safe, I'd like to make my remote email server as secure as
> possible from prying eyes (for example if my VPS host or a hacker made
> a snapshot of my server for maleficent purposes).

If you can’t trust your hosting provider, get a different one.

> Most of the time messages should only be on my remote server for a
> matter of seconds at most before being sent to my local server, but if
> my local network is down they could remain there much longer. Also as
> the queue is written to disk someone could recover old messages from
> deleted queues.
>
> The three areas I'm looking at so far are:
>
> 1) OpenSMTPD queue encryption
> This is a good step, but presumably the key is stored in memory, so
> could be retrieved from a snapshot of the server. Maybe I could
> automate the key to change from time to time?

Maybe?  Be sure you don’t lose all of your existing messages in the queue.

> 2) OpenBSD disk encryption
> I read in a forum post that OpenBSD disk encryption only stores a part
> of the key in memory at any one time. I can't find anywhere else that
> says this, and I can't work out how that'd be possible.
>
> 3) GPG message encryption
> I could in theory set up something that takes inward messages out of
> the queue (before they are written to disk), encrypts them with my
> public key, and then enters them back into the queue. But for most
> outward messages GPG encryption won't be an option.

That’s your best option for inbound stuff.  That said, email isn’t
your best option for security.  Use something with proper end-to-end
encryption and forward secrecy, such as Signal, Wire, Keybase, or
Matrix.

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)