Greetings,

Let assume that we have setup which defines a list of aliases:

  u...@domain.com:  u...@domain.com

and it delivering as:

  action deliver_lmtp lmtp "/var/dovecot/lmtp" rcpt-to virtual <aliases>
  match from any for any action deliver_lmtp

Unfortunately, this requires to add somewhere routing to vmail user.

A naive approach by adding to the end of aliases list:

  @: vmail

works, but it leads to queue all messages for non exist users.

Another approach is keeping at the end of aliases:

  u...@domain.com: vmail

what requires to duplicate list of known users from LMTP here, and makes error
for unknwon user quite wired, let me quote: