Helo,

I'm currently testing a "new" feature on the mailing-list server.

The idea is to revive a feature that we introduced in OpenSMTPD a long time ago
but which got removed for what I think were bad reasons: the kicker.

The kicker is a mechanism that detects if a session is progressing towards mail
delivery or if it's performing command that allows it to keep a connection open
indefinitely by starting aborted transactions, playing RSET or NOOP games and a
bunch of other unexpected yet legal SMTP moves.

You can see it in action by connecting to mx-in.poolp.org then trying to keep a
connection active by submitting commands that avoid DATA, like for example:

HELO foo
NOOP
MAIL FROM:<f...@bar.baz>
RCPT TO:<gil...@poolp.org>
RSET
MAIL FROM:<f...@bar.baz>
RCPT TO:<gil...@poolp.org>
RSET
..

I deployed yesterday on the list server and am currently monitoring to ensure a
legitimate session doesn't get killed and that my threshold is fine.

Cheers,