Nick,

The problem has been harder then I imagined because Springfield Municipal
Code says NOTHING on binding future city councils neither does the city
charter.  So I started my search and found in the CA constitution the
verbiage of which you find below.

http://www.cacities.org/resource_files/3241.Cities%20powers%20and%20limitations%20.doc
.

Trying to find anything on "binding future city councils" is quite difficult
so at this point I'll take any definition I can get in order to get a rough
draft of what it means.