January 6, 2009
Get Real, Mr. RaelPolitical ads are not much different from normal, commercial
ads. Effective advertisements usually make it pretty clear what the hoped-for
outcome is.

Buy a widget? Patronize a business? In politics, it’s “Vote for X”… or A, B, or
C.

Last political season, in New Mexico’s Bernalillo, Sandoval, and Valencia
counties, ads ballyhooed a Rio Metro expansion project. They very clearly
concluded by telling voters to “Make a Difference on November 4th,” and
offering up a certain website that also promoted voting for the tax increase to
expand the transit system.

So why did Lawrence Rael of the political entity responsible for Rio Metro deny
the obvious? “We’re not saying ‘vote for the tax’ as an advocacy committee
would do,” he explained. “We’re just simply saying, ‘Look, this issue is on the
ballot…Here’s what it’s about.’”

Oh, get real, Mr. Rael.

The reason for his reticence? Governments in a republic aren’t supposed to
influence voters but be influenced by voters. That’s the point of an election,
where our tax dollars ought not be on either side.

Paul Gessing, of the Rio Grande Foundation, wrote in the Albuquerque Journal,
“Having advocates for these proposals working on the taxpayer dime obviously
tilts the advantage in the direction of higher taxes. But giving the pro-tax
side the additional advantage of a significant advertising budget is simply too
much, and is truly unfair.”

No wonder government keeps growing, eh?

This is Common Sense. I’m Paul Jacob.

 Comment on this episode | Listen to this episode

Paul Jacob is President of Citizens in Charge and a Senior Advisor to the Sam
Adams Alliance, which sponsors both Paul’s weekly Townhall column and Common
Sense, a short radio commentary featured in over 100 radio stations throughout
the country.

Click here to visit our new website, which has archives of Paul’s commentary
since 1999!

For more information — and more ways to get involved — click on more Sam Adams
Alliance projects below:

This message was sent from Common Sense to fbelli...@yahoo.com. It was sent
from: Sam Adams Alliance, 20 N. Wacker Dr. Suite 3330 , Chicago, IL 60606. You
can modify/update your subscription via the link below.

 Manage your subscription