Hey folks:

Our own little Springfield City Council and administrators, if left to
themselves (while listening to the Vision 20:20 spendaholics), would have one
hand on the checkbook and the other hand clutching the signature stamp,
intending to (according to the published 5 year Capital Improvement Project
document) to spend slightly over:

$1,000,000,000  Yeah, that's a BILLION!

It is not necessary to go to as far as Jefferson City to find BILLIONS of tax
dollars being spent by a governmental agency. We got it right here in the Queen
City.

Now, let's be "nice" to our local administrators. They told all of us it was
just going to be $158 Million total. Part of that $1B total spending is covered
by a bunch of State of MO grants and Federal grants.  Can you hear the cry?
"That's FREE money!" (It is until we get the tax bill from the state and/or the
Federal governments  in the form of higher income taxes) Another big part of
that City of Springfield billion dollars is intended to be spent from sources
that haven't even been identified.  That small detail doesn't bother council.
Sometime in the next five years, our fair city's administrators (if not
blocked) will cover that temporary hindrance by either:

1) finding some sucker organization to donate the missing big bucks,
2) pay for the project by issuance of city bonds, or
3) enacting new sales taxes, use taxes, enhancement of fees, etc.

We may have the temporary pleasure of watching some of our freespending council
members leaving office next month. Let's not get complacent and assume things
are going to automatically be better. There are 'Other' council candidates that
could be just as bad for being free-spending as the outgoing council members.

Jim Hornaday