December 4, 2009
Senator DeMint for Term Limits
Yes, we can term-limit the Congress.

I'm not saying it will be easy. It won't be easy. Doesn't mean we shouldn't
try.

That's why I applaud U.S. Senator Jim DeMint for introducing a constitutional
amendment to term limit Congress. Three two-year terms maximum for House
members, two six-year terms for senators. Says DeMint, "term limits are not
enough, of course. . . . But term limits are a good start. Because if we really
want reform, we all know it's not enough just to change the congressmen -- we
have to change Congress itself."

DeMint knows that most congressmen are not eager to restrict their own power.
But he's not giving up.

Should he? In his Best of the Web e-letter, James Taranto asks whether DeMint's
proposed amendment will "include a provision stipulating that any senator who
reaches the limit automatically becomes president? Because that's the only way
that two thirds of them would ever vote for it."

Maybe, James. It is easy to be negative about the prospects for implementing
major political reforms. One will be right most of the time. But I say it's
better to be an optimistic warrior pushing for the hard-to-accomplish but
important-to-accomplish reform. Someday we'll find the tipping point; someday
we'll see our "representatives" realize they have no choice but to accept term
limits.

DeMint's amendment moves us closer to that day.

This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.
Please support Common Sense. Help us reach our $52,000 goal. Donate today.

Comment on this episode | Listen to this episode

Paul Jacob is President of Citizens in Charge and the Citizens in Charge
Foundation, which sponsors both Common Sense and Paul's weekly Townhall Column.
The opinions expressed in Common Sense are Paul Jacob's and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizens in Charge or the Citizens in Charge Foundation.